What is Record Management? Why it is very important to us? Records management, or RM, is the practice of maintaining the records of an organization from the time they are created up to their eventual disposal. This may include classifying, storing, securing, and destruction of records.
The Importance of Records Management
Our business revolves around documents-correspondence, contracts, charts, memos, orders, reports and much more-that record what our company does. Many of these records are kept on paper and keeping it organized is essential to ensuring our business stays on track.
What to keep, where to keep it and for how long are the factors that determine whether information is available when you need it. Having the right documents in the right place at the right time also helps us control costs and reduce issues with lost information.
The impact that proper records management has on our business can't be exaggerated. In most businesses, storing records is a major commitment of both space and time. It's a good practice to manage both well.
Eight Benefits to Good Record Management
- Perform daily business transactions more efficiently.
- Waste less employee time with faster record retrieval.
- Protect against accidental or premature record destruction.
- Prevent costly paper accumulation with systematic record disposal.
- Secure vital records and information in case of business disruption or disaster.
- Reclaim office space used for inefficient storage.
- Access documents that demonstrate regulatory and legislative compliance.
- Build confidence and pride from knowing you've done an important job well.
Source : http://www.fellowes.com